Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Owl Butterfly: It's Beauty and Strength

Portraying nature and animals in my artwork is a large focus for me. The ability to bring their strengths and lessons to light in a visual way, is yet another confirmation of understanding them. As of late, I am intrigued and attracted to the Winged Ones, symbolically I suppose that the wings are engaging me because of the freedom in life that they represent.

Recently while studying on various animals I came across the Owl Butterfly, yes it's common name is truly Owl Butterfly. He comes from the genus Caligo, meaning darkness, which would be accurate since they do much of their flying at dusk when fewer predators are present.

The beauty of this Owl Butterfly is that his wings look as if they are an owl's eyes, which deceived the predators, thinking that it is something other than what it truly is.

Immediately I began to paint this beauty.

Beginning to paint the Owl Butterfly


Later that evening, after having started at 4am, I completed it.
Owl Butterfly Contemporary Folk Art Painting by Jeanne Fry

The original of this painting is not available, but you can collect prints here in my Fine Art America shop
Owl Butterfly Art Print on Fine Art America 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...