Sunday, January 8, 2012

Seasons of an Artist


The changing of the Seasons affects my artwork in the obvious way by influencing my color palette, but the season itself many times will change my tone and themes. Winter is a very introspective time for me. While it's not one of my favorite seasons, I understand it's importance and accept it.

I miss the rich hues of the woods and the fullness of the mountain silhouettes; the barren trees bring a sense of "rawness" and in turn I find myself much more serious and contemplative.

While I know that soon spring will arrive and nature will be budding with life again, this quiet time often can make the artist side feel as if it is curled up as if in hibernation.

This feeling was the inspiration to this weekend's painting, "Cocoon".

"Cocoon"  Original Contemporary Folk Painting by Jeanne Fry

"Cocoon" Folk Art Painting by Jeanne Fry

The symbolism in the waves of hair are reflective of her "cocoon", encompassing the rawness of her body and soul. Each section of hair is representing either Mother Earth with the natural earthy tones and sacred spirals, Father Sky with the indigo blue star scene in the sky, or the patina blue Feather like sections symbolic of freedom and soaring. The background brings in the colors of winter's ocean. Each piece of the cocoon embraces and nourishes her through this time of reflection, until the time when she will emerge again stronger and more beautiful than before.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...